American Slang Dictionary
The app of the American Slang Dictionary by Roberto Cagliero and Chiara Spallino is an excellent reference tool for those who need to understand American slang. During the last decades, through movies and TV, slang has entered everyday language and has become an integral part of the American language system. This dictionary provides the most comprehensive and updated reference to quickly meet the needs of translators, cinephiles, advertisers, music enthusiasts, journalists, and anyone facing the need to understand the everyday and ever-changing language spoken in the USA.
Special attention has been paid to give a comprehensive description of the headwords, of their different submeanings and synonyms. Particular attention has also been paid to the tagging of terms with special labels, such as IT, hip-hop and hipster culture, politics, sport, African-American expression, and so on, as to make it easy for the reader to quickly understand where the expression comes from and in what context it is used. Moreover, the dictionary includes many words and expressions used in what is usually called “acro-speak” (the tendency to speak with acronyms and abbreviations, first originated in American English and now spread throughout Europe), cases of antiphrasis (the use of a word or phrase in a way that is opposite of what it really means) and many new words created to describe particular historical events.
The app interface allows you to search the index entries, in the translations and even to make a full-text search selecting one of the provided usage labels.
- 21.000 American headwords and 500 nicknames
- 27.000 submeanings
- 35.000 Italian translations
- 3000 examples
- 100 cultural information boxes
- Usage labels
- iTunes: compatible with iPhone, iPad e iPod touch using iOS 8 and later versions
- Google Play: compatible with smartphones and tablets Android 4.0 and later versions
- Amazon: compatible with smartphones and tablets using Android 4.0 and later versions (including Fire devices)
- User interface in Italian and English with font size setting option
- Can be used offline
- Direct search in the entry index box, search by headword or full text
- Advanced search by usage labels
- Completo utilizzo offline.
The app Dizionario Slang Americano is available on the following online stores: